Key Stage 5
What will I study?
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (Business) is appropriate for the vocational sector and it is suitable for those who have decided that they wish to enter a particular area of IT industry or particular Business Sector relating to IT. This course is broadly equivalent to three GCE A Levels.
The benefit of joining this course:
- It gives you the education and training to work in an IT industry.
- It gives you the learners the opportunity to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
- It gives opportunity to enter employment in the IT and Business sector, apprenticeships or to progress university courses such as Gaming Technology, Software Programming, Business and Information Systems and Web Development.
- 1 Communication and Employability Skills for IT
- 2 Computer Systems
- 3 Information Systems –
- 4 Impact of the Use of IT on Business Systems
- 7 Organisational Systems Security
- 8 E-Commerce
Optional Units: We have a large range of units to choose from, but previous units have included the following:
- 5 Managing Networks
- 6 Software Design and Development
- 9 Computer Networks
- 10 Communication Technologies
- 12 IT Technical Support
- 15 Object Oriented Programming
- 16 Procedural Programming
- 17 Project Planning with IT
- 18 Database Design
- 19 Computer Systems Architecture
- 22 Developing Computer Games
- 23 Human Computer Interaction
- 25 Maintaining Computer Systems
- 27 Web Server Scripting
- 28 Website Production
- 30 Digital Graphics
- 31 Computer Animation
- 33 Supporting Business Activity
- 34 Business Resources
- 35 Digital Graphics for Interactive Media
- 36 Computer Game Platforms and Technologies
- 37 2D Animation Production
- 39 Web Animation for Interactive Media
- 40 Computer Game Design
- 42 Spreadsheet Modelling
- 43 Multimedia Design
Last year 100% of our BTEC Diploma in Information Technology students passed their qualifications, achieving an average grade of D*D* In addition, 75% of the students went on and achieved the maximum D*D*D* in their BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and Business. This is significantly higher than the National Average.
Every year our students progress onto range of destinations that include university, apprenticeships and further training in IT and employment. Students who have studied this course have gone on to study degrees in areas such as Games Technology, Web Design, Computer Animations and Programing, Business and Accounting, Business and Information systems, Software Development at centres such as, Birmingham City University, Aston University, Coventry University, Manchester Metropolitan University, Wolverhampton, Nottingham Trent University , and Kingston University. Students have also entered IT and Business related employment through training.
Students require either 4 or more A*-C GCSE grades or equivalent, preferably including Mathematics and English, ICT or Business.
In addition to full-time attendance, all students will complete a period of Work Experience of at least 2-weeks throughout the course of the year that will form evidence for one of their units of study. In previous years, students have fulfilled a range of placements.
How will I be assessed?
All assessment is internally assessed by a teacher through a portfolio of work produced by the student for each unit that they study. The method of assessment will be varied according to the nature of the qualification being studied and will range from formal assignments being written to delivering a presentation or being observed. There are NO exams.
There will be various opportunities for students go on work related trips and conferences to broaden their experience on the course. These visits will take place each year in order to reinforce learning.
Course: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (Business)
Exam Board: BTEC
Exam Specification Code: 500/9149/9
If you are interested in business, you may also be interested in the key stage 5 IB option we offer. Select the link below for more information: