Key Stage 5
What will I study?
If you have a desire to care for people and take an interest in their wellbeing then Health and Social Care is the course for you. Over the course of the two years you will cover all aspects of Health and Social Care.
The units you will cover are:
- Developing Effective Communication in Health and Social Care
- Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health and Social Care
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Sociological Perspectives in Health and Social Care
- Psychological Perspectives in Health and Social Care
- Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care
- Personal and Professional Development in Health and Social Care
- Caring for Children and Young People
- Physiological Disorders
- Promoting Health Education
- Nutrition for Health and Social Care
- Caring for Individuals with Additional Needs
- Health Psychology
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Dementia Care
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is coursework based. Assessment also takes the form of practical assessment. You will be visited by a tutor while at placement on at least ten occasions throughout the two years.
What coursework will I need to do?
You will complete coursework for all units. The coursework consists of assignments, and there are usually between one and four assignments per unit. You will also complete a Professional Practice portfolio which will be your evidence of the minimum 100 hours of work experience you do.
Laura Long – Laura was an inspirational student in Health and Social Care. Laura suffers from Cystic Fibrosis yet she never allowed her illness to hinder her in achieving her goals. Laura spent a large proportion of her Post 16 studies in and out of hospital, often being away for weeks at a time. Through these times Laura showed pure grit and determination in making sure that she kept on top of all her work and meeting deadlines. Laura achieved D*D*D* at the end of year 13, the highest possible grade you can achieve for this qualification. Laura is a testament to the fact that hard work and determination in the face of adversity can steer you to achieving your goals. Laura is now studying Occupational Therapy at Coventry University.
Course: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care
Exam Board: Edexcel
Exam Specification Code: 500/9501/8